Pacific Coast Veterinary Hospital is looking for a Kennel Assistant to join our team.
Position: Kennel Assistant
Hospital: Pacific Coast Veterinary Hospital
Location: Prince Rupert, British Columbia
Job Type: Full Time
Pacific Coast Veterinary Hospital is seeking a full-time Kennel Assistant to join our team.
The Kennel Assistant is responsible for ensuring the quality of care and service provided to the pets and the people we care for is impeccable. Through helping to foster a patient focused service model, participating in a supportive work environment, and by communicating openly with the medical team, the Kennel Assistant supports the growth and vision of the practice.
The Kennel Assistant helps the medical team look after patient needs and facility cleanliness by adhering to the specific standards and SOPs of the hospital. This role operates under the direct guidance and supervision of the Practice Manager and Medical Director.
- Greets, handles, and treats pets with kindness, compassion, patience and skill using Fear Free techniques. Nurtures an environment that makes them feel safe and secure.
- Provides exceptional client service and builds relationships with clients through service, respect and professionalism.
- Advocates for the patient. Helps contribute to an organized procedural and patient flow throughout medical and treatment areas.
- Contributes to smooth communication throughout a client’s visit and seeks answers to any client questions or concerns.
- Supports healthcare recommendations that would enrich the life of the pet and directs client questions to the appropriate team member.
- Routinely contributes to the cleanliness and organization of the practice, to ensure all guests leave with a lasting positive impression of the hospital.
- Focusses on the well-being and comfort of the patient while following best medicine and patient experience principles.
- Strives to maintain an organized and calm kennel area. Asks about relocating patients if they might be happier in a different hospital area or set-up.
- Works efficiently and carefully to meet timelines and ensure job responsibilities, standards of work, and tasks are achieved.
- Assists in keeping medical and diagnostic equipment maintained and in proper and safe working condition. Identifies and reports equipment and facility needs to PM.
- Efficiently, accurately, and safely performs animal handling and husbandry duties. Ensures hospitalized, boarding, and grooming patients are comfortable, clean, exercised, and fed according to instructions.
- Frequently monitors all in-hospital pets, and correctly records information relating to feeding schedules, appearance, or behavior. Immediately reports any changes to the correct person.
- Assists in discharging and admitting patients when required. Assures pets going home have been checked by a Technician for cleanliness and client has received homecare medications and instructions.
- Reconciles and unpacks orders. Puts items away in correct locations.
- Controls the spread of disease by ensuring the overall cleanliness, disinfection, and organization of the hospital. Pays close attention to the medical, kennel, food prep, and laundry areas.
- Ensures that patients are correctly identified and that personal property (toys, blankets, leashes, carriers) are labelled and stored in the proper area.
- Ability to be gentle, quiet and patient with animals
- Ability to control animals
- Strong observational skills & mental alertness
- Strong communication skills
- The ability to work well as part of a team
We value our team members, and prove it by supporting your personal, financial, and professional growth through:
- A competitive wage rate
- A comprehensive Health Benefits package (100% of extended Medical, Dental, & Vision premiums paid)
- Professional Services coverage (chiropractor, massage therapist, physiotherapist, and more)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation time
- Paid Sick Days
- Discount on veterinary services for your own pets
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a respectful, inclusive, and diverse workplace.
Check out our video at https://vimeo.com/311681648/600df41f7a to learn more.
To apply for this position, please complete the form below and attach your resume. We'll be in touch!